The sponsoring societies of the GA HLK are the Deutsche Keramische Gesellschaft (DKG) and the German Society for Materials Science (DGM).
The field of activity of the GA HLK comprises the production, properties and application of high-performance ceramics as well as the scientific fundamentals for, among others, monolithic materials, fiber-reinforced, ceramic materials, coatings on ceramic materials/through ceramic materials etc. In addition, the GA HLK deals with issues of training and professional development.
Other objectives are:
- Deepening and cultivating cooperation between science and industry in the field of high-performance ceramics (HPC) and their application
- Addressing industrial and scientific issues in the field of new HPC and manufacturing and machining/processing technologies for applications in future fields
- Identification of medium- and long-term research and development fields within the framework of the development of roadmaps
- Initiation of research tasks to develop a scientifically sound understanding of the fundamentals of the interrelationships between the manufacture, microstructure or nanostructure of ceramic materials and their application-related functional properties
- Initiation of research and development projects
- Promotion of interdisciplinary exchange of experience between manufacturers and users of HPC with scientific and business-related research institutions
- Cooperation with technical-scientific societies on European and international level
- Holding joint meetings and coordinating the work of the various sub-working groups or technical committees of both societies